08 March 2008

sucker allure

Am breaking my completely unintended hiatus to post this article from the New York Observer, about teen girls and vampire fiction. Because I think it brings up interesting points and I'd never really planned on not-blogging anyway.

Personally, I'm not that keen on the Twilight books. I understand their popularity and appeal. I read the first one and was totally into it, but at the same time felt grubby and ashamed the entire time. I took a stab at the sequels, but couldn't get passed the first pages, because the melodrama of the prose irked me so much. But, I'd also read a few interviews with Stephenie Meyer that really turned me off, so maybe I'm just a hater. Other contemporary takes on the vamps, um ... save the few mentioned below, not so much.

That said, I love the Blue Bloods books (Melissa De La Cruz has got way more skills than one might expect) and thought that Peeps was bloody brilliant. And yes, as an adolescent, I totally succumbed to Anne Rice (only the first three though) and read Dracula multiple times. Beyond that though, I was flat out-and-out obsessed with all things Poppy Z. Brite. Who, incidentally, would totally take Meyer and company down in a vampfest. And Buffy is pretty much my favorite tv show of all time.

So, I dunno. It is what it is. But zombies definitely make for better movie material.

No comments: