01 January 2009


I just counted up, and it seems I read over 200 books last year. And, that's not counting picture books because a) doing that seems an unfair way to bump up the numbers and b) I could never remember all of those anyway. Maybe later, if I am feeling expansive and reflexive and typey, I will ruminate on those 200+. After all, one of my don't-call-it-a-resolutions is to post more, all over yon internet.

But, because I won't be mentioning picture books and because it seems a swell thing to do for posterity, I did want to note the ones I particularly liked this year. With brief commentary, even! The sad(?) fact of it is that I never really think of myself as being someone who likes picture books. One of the reasons I was hesitant to embrace being a Children's Librarian, instead of the Y.A. Librarian moniker I originally coveted, was an antipathy to them. (Other reasons, equal antipathy to flannel boards and fingerplays, a sense that I wasn't chipper enough or passionate enough about children's services and a general feeling that storytime just wasn't "my thing.")

But, I've grown into it a bit. While they still don't get me super excited, generally speaking, the way that the prospect of a good novel does, I appreciate them and have fun with them and have definitely developed a repetoire of favorites. And doing the Mock Caldecott and a bit of historical research has helped me appreciate them as art.

In any case, my standouts for 2008 are as follows. In looking at this now, it seems that I may be unfairly biased by the New York Times (honestly, I hadly ever even read it) and the books we discussed and finalized on for this years Queens Mock Caldecott, but whatever. We are all a product of our influences.

Before John Was a Jazz Giant by Carole Boston Weatheford, illus. Sean Qualls - because it's lovely and fun and appropriately musical. Generally speaking, there are a lot of biographical picture books and a vast majority of them I do not like. Too often, they are biographies first, with no movement and strucure as a story and the illustrations are middling to fair. I just don't think they work, beyond fulfilling the real-but-annoying need for biography-for-a-young-kid reference questions. But, that's so not the case here. I kind of love it.

A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever by Marla Frazee - because it is so spirited and funny and has so much detail that's just an all-out pleasure to read. Marla Frazee has done tons of books, but I've never really gotten into her. This makes me want to read more of them though, which is always a good sign.

Dinosaur vs. Bedtime by Bob Shea - because, hands down, it was my favorite picture book of the year (and that's why it gets the accompanying-picture nod.) I love the simplicity of, the use of typeface and the FUN of it. I also love the fact that it's super, super fun to read at storytime (I'm a great roarer) and it can work with so many ages and get participatory action every single time.

The Dog Who Belonged to No One by Amy Hest, illus. Amy Bates - because I heartily admit to being a sucker for many things, including a heartarming story and pretty art

Don't Worry Bear by Greg Foley - for many of the same reasons I loved Dinosaur vs. Bedtime (minus the growling), plus Greg Foley is pretty crushworthy. I loved the other Bear book too and look forward to the next.

Ghosts in the House! by Kazuno Kohara - because woodcuts and limited color can be really beautiful.

Keep Your Eye on the Kid: the Early Years of Buster Keaton by Catherine Brighton - because it's another well-done picture book biography, despite the use of first-person and the art has a definite Little Nemo feel to it, which I'm all about. I keep putting it on display in the hopes of it being checked out, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be happening yet.

Lazy Little Loafers by Susan Orleans, illus. G. Brian Karas - because it made me laugh and I think that G. Brian Karas is consistently solid

Little Yellow Leaf by Karin Berger - because I am constantly asked for seasonal books and most of them are forgettable. And the collage is used just so well-done and interesting.

Spuds by Karen Hesse, illus. Wendy Watson - because, once again, I love the retro, gentle art and it's a nice little story. One of my dirty little librarian secrets is that I don't especially like Karen Hesse, but I dig (heh. You'd know why that was funny if you read it.) this.

A Visitor for Bear by Bonnie Becker, illus. Kady Macdonald Denton - because it made me happy. Sometimes you can go with a traditional story and if you do it well, all will be well.

Wabi Sabi by Mark Reibstein, illus. by Ed Young - because Ed Young has illustrated about a bazillion books, and this is the first one I've ever really responded to. Not exactly one that will have kids clamoring, but ... And, it seems to be a love it or hate it sort of books, which probably means that those oddsmakers are right and it will, in fact, win the Caldecott.

No comments: