09 January 2008

txt me l8r

I'd heard a while ago that there was going to be a webcast of the Youth Literary awards this year, but today's e-mail from the ALA tells me that you can get the results via text message too. I'm thinking I might sign up, not only because I do so love a little text message action but also because I am working the evening shift on Monday and, as such, will probably still be asleep at 7:45. How not a morning person am I? As much as one can possibly (not) be.

I just wish that I felt more vested in the awards this time around. It might change when the results are actually in, but I'm not feeling particularly passionate about the topic this year. I read a lot of books last year - about 240, if I counted correctly, and that's not including picture books or easy readers. And while a good number of them "grown-up" books, Children's and YA titles made up a good portion of that. Some of them were good and I loved, some of them ... not so much. Maybe I feel sort of blah about it because some of the most buzzed about books of the years were either ones that I didn't get around to or ones that left me feeling pretty underwhelmed. But then, so have more than a few recent winners, so it could just be par for the course.

I do feel a little more interested in the Caldecott this year - thanks in large part to the Mock Caldecott that we did. Even though Laura did all the hard work, it was fun to have a voice and to see all the librarian's in discussing the different titles. It was the first "mock" I've ever been a part of - and not just because I don't really like the word "mock" and the images it conjures up (nothing good: fake turtlenecks and apple pie made with Ritz crackers and mean-spirited teasing). Now, I totally want to get in on some Mock Other Stuff action next year.

In any case, all of this is just sort of blathering at this point and I'm way more distracted by the tv white noise going on right now that I'm comfortable admitting. If, by some chance, books I love win next Monday, I could totally be singing a different tune.

No comments: