04 January 2008

hip-hop hooray

I am pleased to report that, after working on it piecemeal forever, this afternoon I finally finished weeding the entire Juvenile Non-fiction collection. And I have the stack of books awaiting book sale to prove it. And can I just say here, publicly, how much I love weeding? Because I do. I really, really do. In fact, some days when I am feeling particularly, "Grr, argh!" - you know, because I overslept, the bus was late and then the driver was crazy, and I don't get any coffee and the computer won't work and someone is randomly mean to you for no reason - I take solace in weeding the collection. And it totally works as a pick-me-up.

In any case, I then spent the last few hours of the day beginning what I shall henceforth call the Great Shift of '08, wherein I making use of all space vacated by those dingy, outdated and unloved books. It was a little bit more labor-intensive than your average day at the library, but totally worthwhile. And given how not-busy our Saturdays have been lately, I should be able to complete the task tomorrow (fingers crossed). My goal is to make enough space on the regular old shelves to have room for the kids series books, which currently reside on a sad little spindle. Which has not nearly enough room and keeps breaking. I wish, wish, wish that I had been able to make enough room to interfile the hardcover and paperback fiction (is there a logic for such separation beyond the logistical? I am genuinely curious.), but that particular dream will have to wait until our library is renovated and I get a brand-spanking, sparkly new room.

Oh, and also - my gift card came when I was off yesterday. I think this weekend I am going to take all of my change-in-a-can to Coinstar and opt for an Amazon card and combine it with that for all sorts of post-holiday treats!

2 comments:

hood_and_hat said...

The children's librarian at Forest Hills interfiled all the paperback and hard cover fiction over the summer -- so that she could make more room for series fiction.

I love weeding too.

Jenn said...

it makes utter sense to me ... i wish i had the room to do it. a few days further along the process and i think it's going to be tough to get all the series books on the shelf i have for them, but here's hoping. tomorrow morning when we're closed, i should (fingers crossed) come close to finishing.