26 October 2007

feed me (wait, has someone already used that one?)


Dear Bloglines,

Okay. I admit it. You've won me over. Sort of. I know I was skeptical at first. In fact, that first time we met? I didn't even bother bookmarking you. Yes, plenty of people I know told me you were great. And you did seem to have your good points. Overall though? Totally underwhelmed. I mean, it's really not that hard to visit a few links on a regular basis. Do I really need to see what people are saying the very moment that they say it? Will I totally be left out of the dinner table conversations if I wait a few hours? I don't think so.

And yet. I gave you another chance because I had to. You were assigned. Sorry if that hurts your ego, but it's true. Further fire for the angst: I didn't even remember that we'd met before. Your memory though, or at least your database, is better than mine and my e-mail was already on file. So I took you for another spin. And I decided I'd try you out a bit more before offering up commentary. In that time, I came to see why people seem so very keen on you. You have your charms.

I honestly don't know if those charms are strong enough to keep me around forever. Meaning, I don't want to get married or anything. There are so many ways in which you aren't perfect. Aesthetically, I find you lacking. Your search function seems finicky. You're a bit slow sometimes. I do think that there's much to be said for seeing and reading things in the context that they are presented.

You are, however, fun to play with and I'd be lying if I said I haven't logged onto you a whole lot this last week. I like that you aren't dependent on my computer. You won't freak out and lose all my bookmarks every time Firefox installs updates. You save me seconds at a time when you keep me from checking on links that will disappoint me with no new content.

It's not quite love and there is a very good chance that what we have might die when the novelty wears off. So let's enjoy it while we can, okay?

xo Jenn

5 comments:

Eric said...

We're glad that you like Bloglines, even if it is a tentative liking.

BTW - Check our Bloglines Beta. It's where we're doing development on our next version. I personally think it's a big improvement, but then I'm biased. ;-)

Emily said...

This almost perfectly describes my relationship with Flickr. But this is probably because I'm addicted to plenty of other picture-loading sites. Who knows.

And I hope you don't become as addicted to Bloglines as I am. It's a disease, for sure. We may need QBPL Bloglines Anonymous.

Dale said...

I loved the "dear Bloglines" style!

Telesa said...

You perfectly stated exactly the way I felt about Bloglines. Thanks for the entertaining post...
:)

Jenn said...

thanks for all the comments, guys! i should probably add that i've been using bloglines almost continuously since i wrote this post, so i think that means i'm a convert.