21 December 2007

i always cry at endings

Oh, dial-up. I almost forgot what using you was like.

Meaning, hello from Ohio! And the slowest internet connection I've had to use in a long, long time. I really should've posted my last assignment before flying out Thursday, but I've always had a problem writing conclusions ...

Nevertheless. I've had a grand time participating in the QL2.0 project. I wish that more people had taken advantage of it, but maybe they'll do so the next time around. And yes, there should totally be a "next time." Maybe with some people who are more comfortable with a lot of the content serving as mentors to those just getting started. I know that this happened on a lot on an informal level, but codifying it might make it easier for some. I've really enjoyed the process and would be keen on other learning or training that utilized this format.

In terms of what which assignments have made the biggest impact on me, I'm going with Bloglines. I know I was a bit hesitant at the time, but I've been using it pretty consistently since then and have truly come to adore it. I guess it was true love after all. And with a tendency to add feeds on a whim, the blogroll just keeps growing and growing, so I don't see said love fading away any time soon.

I am also hugely keen on Google Docs. In fact, I've already started preaching it to anyone who will listen, sort of like on of those tent revival evangelists out of a Flannery O'Connor story. Patrons, co-workers, my boyfriend ... all have had to listen to me enthuse about it and I hopefully haven't bored them to tears in the process. You know, like Rollyo bored me to tears. Sorry, I know some people fell for it and by all means, more power to them, but I just don't get that one. Del.ic.ious (is that how it goes?) I like in theory but seldom remember to actually use it. It would be handy now, when I'm in Ohio and away from my regular computer, but I'm mostly using the beloved Bloglines to keep up, especially because I won't really need my Netflix queue or the MTA homepage in the next few days.

Other stuff, like social networking and Flickr and YouTube I knew and loved already, but I liked how this project compelled me to look at and use them from a different perspective and explore them on a deeper level. There's so much stuff out there in this 2.0 environment that there's pretty much no way for anyone to keep up with it. And I suspect that if you try, it makes your head spin on a regular basis and you just have to take a wee break from all things electronic every now and again. Which I do, only I always come back; happily.

Anyway, I'm really curious as to whether or not people are going to maintain their blogs. As suspected, reading what others have had to say has been one of my favorite things, even if I didn't always pipe up with the comments and whatnot (although I did try). I've had personal blogs for ages - since before it was called blogging, even - and have wanted to give a more professional web presence a go for some time, but never made it happen. This project was a great way to ease into that and now that I'm here, just watch out blogosphere!

Um, or something.

1 comment:

hood_and_hat said...

Keep up your blog! I've been doing it and hopefully there will be more Things to come.

I totally agree about the mentors and after finishing L2.0 there should now be a corps of folks who can help others.