02 December 2007

the muppet show would totally not be allowed on the air today

Okay, more thoughts about YouTube. I'm still not certain how legit and professional they are.

I suppose I can just say "It's swell" and leave it at that?

Probably not, but it is swell, and I have much affection for it. And not just for when I'm inclined to waste time by glimpsing cartoons from childhood, watching alternative rock icons (or, um, punk or country or heavy metal icons) partying with Jim Henson creations, or catching up on viral marketing I missed by not seeing many movies in the theater.

There are a lot of authors reading, chatting and answering questions. This video of recent National Book Award winner Sherman Alexie has recently been making the blog rounds. Book trailers, made by both professionals and amateurs abound, for titles both contemporary and classic.

Or maybe you're looking want to help your patrons understand just what services your library offers. Or check out ways other library systems have advertised themselves. And see a synopsis of the conference you didn't attend. I know a lot of libraries have used YouTube for programming, hosting contests or short film festivals. I think it's a great way to take advantage of the technology that people are already using and hope that more of us will follow suit.

Me, I just want to watch more Muppet Show clips and figure out a way to use Yo Gabba Gabba! in storytime.

1 comment:

Logan Ragsdale said...

Cool, I think Youtube is Swell too. I like the word swell, has a 50's flare to it! :) I thought you would like these two links, http://www.designspongeonline.com/2006/09/brooklyn-design-guide-2.html. This is where I first heard about Fred Flare, and here are pics from Chez Fred Flare :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fredflare/sets/72157594569449652/ Sorry to leave such long links, but did not know how to get them to you.. :)
later.