01 December 2007

twittering into the void


For some reason, before the ql things project began, I thought that one of the assignments was to Twitter. As such, I signed up and made a few half-hearted attempts to add to it, and then pretty much abandoned it.

And then, I took a closer look at our assignments and saw that it wasn't even on the list, so I didn't even have to feel bad about abandoning it. Only - look! It's a Web 2.0 award winner, in the category of mobile technology, so it looks like I can write about it after all.

Only, I don't have that much to say. Unlike with a lot of social networking applications, pretty much nobody that I know uses twitter. My initial curiosity about it came from the fact that Whitney, of the Pop Candy blog at USA Today - and one of my daily essential haunts - twitters a lot and often has links to hers on the blog. Besides that, it's gotten some buzz, both online and in traditional news sources. People seem excited about it. I can, actually, see the appeal. I like updating my facebook status, and twitter does pretty much that (and even has an app to do exactly that), only without the obligatory "is" and with more portability, since you don't have to be online to contribute. Plus, I'm the sort of person who finds the minutiae of people's lives fascinating. It's basically why I started reading blogs and maintaining an online presence in the first place, oh so long ago.

It's difficult to maintain momentum though, when no one is paying attention. Which I hate saying, because it seems very needy in a "please validate my existence" sort of way, which is so not the way to come across. It's not just a question of who cares what I ate for breakfast, but who cares if I tell them what I had for breakfast? John Edwards maybe, since he seems to be following a whole bunch of people, but it's not like I really think that he or Barack Obama is actually sitting on their campaign bus, contemplating my affection for english muffins. So, is there really any point?

However, even if the answer to that one is no, there's just something about twitter that keeps me interested. Maybe I just have to give it more time. And while I'm doing that, I'll hope that the people I know will actually start using it. In the meantime, I can at least get a kick out of reliving the Buffy the Vampire Slayer glory days, via Xander's tweets.

Finally, on the other Web 2.0 awards, I have lots of affection for many of these. Here, I'll send shout outs to Digg (but ignore the comments), Etsy and Yelp, since I don't think anyone's mentioned them yet.

No comments: